Hello, my name is Felisha Thomas and I work as a behavior therapist in a public school.
Therapists and teachers use ABA to help work with children. ABA stands for Applied Behavioral Analyst. This means the science of behavior. ABA is not just for children with autism. ABA is used to help all children with their behaviors.
Therapists and teachers learn ABA in school. They learn about the 3 ABCs of behavior.
- Antecedent: what are they doing before the behavior?
- Behavior: what are they doing?
- Consequence: what are they doing after the behavior?
Therapists and teachers use ABA for lots of things.
Help children make better choices throughout the day.
- Help children who are sad.
- Help children who are mad.
- Play with children at the playground.
- Keep children safe.
- Help children follow directions in class.
- Help teach children the rules.
- Help children learn the class lessons.
Therapists and teachers go other places outside of school to help children too.
- We go to museums.
- We go to zoos.
- We go to parks.
- We go to the pool.
- We try to help children anytime there is a need.
Therapists and teachers are friendly. We let children know that we are their friends who like to help.
For more information on ABA therapy, see ABA in Classroom Settings.